Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saarlouie Time

Guten tag, damen und herren! It's a lovely morning here in Kaiserslautern as we are about to head out to Saarlouie for Wedding, Part 2 (the ceremonial portion of the wedding). We spent all day Friday in Saarlouie having a tour of the town. Saarlouie was named after King Louis the XIV and has gone back and forth between France and Germany over the centuries. It used to be a strategic fortress town that was unpenetrable for 3 centuries...that is, until the Americans came in during WWII and wiped it out with an air attack. Now it's just a sleepy little town.

After our tour, we had a huge lunch at the bride's parents' home in Saarlouie. Lots of bread, spread, ham, green beans and ham, scalloped potatoes, tiramisu, wine, and coffee. I impressed the mother with my fractured German, saying "Morgen!" when I first met her and then commenting "Das ist gut!" while eating. I'm still waiting to slip in "Ich bin ein Berliner" somewhere...maybe if we all happen to go to a pastry shop together. I also asked the father about wines in the region since he is a big connoisseur. Flattery can get you pretty far in Germany, so I use it whenever I can.

We left Andrea with her parents and rode with Shane back to Kaiserslautern to help with final preparations for the wedding, such as writing names on leaves of ivy to use as place cards at the wedding dinner, and selecting a song for the Elvis impersonator to sing during the couple's slow dance (I think we finally settled on "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You," despite my daring them to go with "Suspicious Minds"). This morning, we packed up our stuff and tried to eat as many leftovers in the tiny refrigerator as possible. Let me tell you, I'm stuffed right now.

Uh oh...looks like it's time to go back to Saarlouie. I'm getting that look to stop typing. I'll catch up with you again in a day or two.

No comments: